If you own a home or condo in the Telluride region, now may be the ideal time to consider selling your home because of the momentum of the market, lack of inventory in some segments and the upward pricing value we are seeing. Now is a great time to sell your home and upgrade to a more desirable size or location and perhaps take advantage of a 1031 exchange for tax advantages.
Here are my tips to maximize your home’s re-sale value:
- Choose the Right Real Estate Broker:
- Choosing the right real estate broker to market your home and manage the sales process is probably the most important decision you will make. Choose a Broker you know you will have a great relationship with, that can put time and attention into your listing and who is not overloaded with other listings that may take resources away from the presentation of your property.
- Price Your Property Appropriately:
- The listing price depends on the condition, features and location of your property; it also may depend on your motivation to sell. Using market analysis, your Broker will suggest an appropriate price to match your objectives and market factors. A well priced listing will create an immediate buzz when first listed, and will generate more showings and potential buyers.
- Curb Appeal:
- Many Buyers will form an opinion of your property within the first seven seconds of seeing it. Upgrading landscaping and paying attention to the quality of the front door and entry way can easily create more value for Sellers.
- Bang for Your Buck Upgrades:
- I always tell Sellers to complete major upgrades like kitchen and bathroom remodels a couple of years before you sell so you have time to enjoy them. While major upgrades will certainly add value to your home, there are other less costly ways to make a splash. Fresh paint, upgraded lighting, new door and cabinet handles and furniture staging are the best ways to increase re-sale value with limited costs. The kitchen is the most important area to concentrate on here.
- Maintenance and Mechanical Systems:
- General maintenance goes a long way to show how well you have cared for your home. Tighten door hinges, towel bars and drawer enclosures if needed. If your water heater or mechanical systems need replacing, do so with an eco-friendly model to tout your home’s energy efficiency.
- Cleanliness and Personal Items:
- Your home should always be clean and ready to show. Clean or replace window treatments. Be wary that not everyone likes pets. Remove personal pictures and replace with art. Be sure your closets are no more than half full of personal items to show off the storage.
Please contact me for additional information and discussion on selling your Telluride home. To stay informed, sign into my website at www.telluriderealestates.com and Like my Facebook page: Telluride Real Estate News.